The air outside is damp and cold and the skies are grey. It is one of those spring days where it feels like you should be curled up on the couch with a blanket. I have just the thing to warm your body & soul. This Creole Shrimp & Sausage Soup will warm you up with just the right amount of spicy heat!
Creole Shrimp & Sausage Soup:
This recipe combines two recipes found on myrecipes.com, links below.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced andouille or other spicy smoked suasage
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (Tony Chachere’s)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings in Dutch oven: saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in reserved sausage, tomatoes, broth, and kidney beans. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered for 25 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or until done.
- Sprinkle each serving with green onions and chopped parsley.
Recommend: Zenner’s Louisiana Red Hot Sausage (found locally at Cash&Carry).
Optional: instead of crushed tomatoes use Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice (add in step 3).