About Meridian Idaho:
Meridian Idaho was established in 1891 and was originally named Hunter. In 1893 the city’s name was changed to Meridian when an I.O.O.F. lodge was built and named Meridian due to being erected on the Boise Meridian (one of 35 principal meridians of the Public Land Survey System of the United States.) Meridian was incorporated in 1903. The city’s population was estimated at approximately 90,739 in 2015.
Arts and Culture:
- Meridian Symphony Orchestra is a 70 member ensemble all-volunteer orchestra. The Meridian Symphony’s season features four concerts. The Orchestra is celebrating its 28th year of providing entertainment to Meridian in 2017.
- Meridian Dairy Days first event held in 1929 to celebrate the opening of the Meridian Creamery. The event was incorporated in 1948 and held its first event at its current location in 1949. The event features a parade, dairy cattle and dairy goat show, a milk run, carnival, fireworks and much more.
- Youth Farmer’s Market beginning in the summer of 2016 weekly in the Meridian City Hall Plaza youth vendors sell produce, crafts, and artwork. Mayer Tammy de Weerd said “The Youth Farmers Market gives kids an opportunity to profit from their hobbies, projects and their passions.” Other non youth vendors are also allowed to participate.
- Winter Lights Parade & Tree Lighting The Winter Lights Parade features spectacular floats lit with Christmas lights to celebrate the holidays. Following the parade make sure you attend the Meridian Tree Lighting Ceremony.
- Village at Meridian is a beautiful outdoor plaza featuring an ice skating rink, fountains, restaurants, stores, movie theater, and bowling alley.
Parks & Recreation
Meridian is home to the Meridian Speedway a 1/4 mile asphalt short track for auto racing. The speedway has hosted well known drivers such as Indianapolis 500 star Davey Hamilton, Melissa Weaver-Arte, as well as others. The speedway is sanctioned by the American Speed Association and by NASCAR.
Meridian has great access to mountains, desert, rivers and lakes. This a great area for active outdoor enthusiasts of all kinds. Alpine Skiing, Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Boating, camping and much more!
Meridian Idaho in the News:
- #1 Best City to Live – 24/7 Wall St. USA Today – Nov 5, 2015
Click on image for full screen view: